Wednesday, October 26, 2022

A RANKING OF EVERY SONG FROM GIRL VS MONSTER - A DISNEY CHANNEL ORIGINAL HALLOWEEN MOVIE

 


  Welcome Back to Disney! I hope you enjoyed my last post where I discussed The BEST Disney Channel Original Movie (DCOM) From Each and Every Year (1997-2019). Well, October is here again, and this year I have so many exciting and fun posts for you guys to read and enjoy. FIVE Halloween posts, to be exact. I know, I know. This will be the most posts I’ve ever done in a month. But what can I say? I just LOVE this time of year so much. So, for my first Halloween/Chilloween post of 2022, I thought what better way to begin than with some Halloween/Chilloween MUSIC. If you’ve been here for a while now, then you know I’m a BIG MUSIC LOVER. I also love majority of all the Halloween DCOMs. And no other Halloween DCOM blended music and Halloween together so seamlessly like Girl vs Monster. So (as you can tell from the title of this post), this post is all about the music from Girl vs Monster, one of my most favorite Halloween DCOMs. 

Last October, I ranked what I think are the Top Ten Disney Channel Original Halloween Movies of All Time. And Girl vs. Monster, of course, was on that list. I wanted so badly to rank all the songs from that movie last year as well, but unfortunately didn’t get the time to. So, I knew that if I was able to do any Halloween/Chilloween posts this year, that this Girl vs. Monster song ranking would be the first one posted. And, well, here it is.

Just a brief note before we begin: This ranking includes all the songs from the Girl vs. Monster soundtrack. So, not just the ones with performance scenes in the movie. As not all of the songs on this ranking had performance scenes to go along with them. I wanted to include all the songs from the movie soundtrack, as there is one version of a song that is in the movie but was sung just by one of the main characters in the movie in which that version of the song was not included in the movie because there was already two other versions of that same song already included in the movie. Okay, I realize that might sound very confusing, but you’ll understand more of what I mean by that later. Also, I just want to say that another reason for me wanting to do this post ever since last October is because I was highly inspired by my little sister’s (celebrategoodtimesblog.blogspot.com) post last year where she ranked the songs from this movie (Girl vs Monster), as well. So, click here to check out her ranking of these songs, too. Now, for real this time, let’s get into A Ranking of Every Song from Girl vs. Monster - A Disney Channel Original Halloween Movie. ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’š๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽฌ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽค


(from least to most favorite)…

 

#7 “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now (Reprise)” – Katherine McNamara 

 

This song, “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now”, is performed not once but three times in the movie (Girl vs. Monster), and this is my least favorite performance not only of this song but my least favorite performance of any song from the movie in general. Honestly, I decided to rank this version of the song very last on this list because I actually get scared to even play it or listen to it. And the actual scene with this song in the movie is not any better, in my opinion. In other words, I do love this song, but not this version of it. I actually love the first 9 seconds of this version, but then her voice changes and it just gets weirder and creepier from there. If her voice stayed the same as it is in the first 9 seconds of the song along with the same beat I would have ranked this song higher, but it doesn’t which is why it ranks lowest on this list. Also, I get why her voice changes deeper and creepier after the first 9 seconds because she is possessed by the evil lady, but I just don’t prefer the song this way. When it comes to the scene of this song in the movie, I can’t even pay attention to the lyrics and what she’s actually singing in this song because everything else is so distracting from her voice changing drastically to the scene itself changing back and forth from her to Skylar and her friends back to her. So, that’s also why the scene itself isn’t my favorite, either. Also, I just have to say, that every time I watch this scene in the movie and hear this version of “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me”, I can’t help but think of that scene in Hocus Pocus when the Sanderson sisters sing “I Put a Spell On You”. This song/scene literally gives me the same vibes as that, which I also don’t like at all.  But yeah, again, if her voice just stayed consistent from what it is during the first 9 seconds of the song then this song would be way better, and I would like it a lot more. What do you think about this song/performance? Take a listen below.

      


#6 “I Got My Scream On” – China Anne McClain

This is a lot more bearable song to listen to than the previous song from Girl vs Monster. Although, this is the one song that we get to hear a little bit of in the movie, but only in the background during the Halloween Bash party scene. This is just a great dance-pop song and perfect to listen to during this time of year. Fun Fact: This song was not only featured in Girl vs Monster but also on A.N.T Farm, Shake It Up, and was used as the anthem for Disney Channel’s Monstober in 2012. All things which I have seen before and knew this song from, as well. Yeah, so there’s really not much I have to say about this song except that it’s just a fun song to listen to during Halloween/Chilloween and that I like it more than the previous song because it’s not scary or creepy at all. It’s also a pretty catchy song. Once you listen to it, it will be stuck in your head for a bit. At least for me it is, every time I listen to it. Though, this song is ranked a little lower because there are still other songs from the movie that I like way more. But, again, I still like this song only for Halloween/Chilloween time and enjoyed listening to it again a few times for this post. And side note, “Calling All The Monsters” is still China Anne McClain’s best Halloween song and just one of her best in general (at least from all the ones that I’ve heard from her). 

  

#5 “Had Me @ Hello (Reprise)” – Olivia Holt aka Skylar Lewis

This is the song that I was talking about before when I said there is a song that’s played in the movie but not this version of the song. In other words, I just found out about this version of “Had Me @ Hello” sung just by Olivia Holt. As this version is not played anywhere in Girl vs Monster. Literally, this song “Had Me @ Hello” (Okay, sorry. I got that from my sister Amber, and I just thought it was so cute when she said it in her blog post last year and I thought it made sense with how I came across this song, as well. So, thanks Amber๐Ÿ˜Š). Since this version is not in the movie and I just discovered her solo version of this song, that is really the main reason why I chose to rank this song lower on this list. Again, don’t get me wrong, because I love this song but this version I had never heard before until now so it doesn’t hold that special of a place in my heart like some of the others I will be talking about later. But, even after just finding out about it and listening to this song against all the others, I still think it deserves the #5 spot on this list. This is definitely one of my favorite songs in the movie and getting to hear just Olivia Holt sing it in this version is great. I can see why they didn’t want to put a third version of this song in the movie, but I think it could have been good to play during the end credits. I mean honestly, I could never get tired of hearing this song. It’s just so catchy and fun to sing along to. It’s a cute love song about that love at first sight type of feeling. I love the pre-chorus when she sings, “You don’t have to try too hard / You already have my heart / You don’t got a thing to prove/ I’m already into you”. It kind of goes along with that message of like someone not needing to change who they are in order for someone else to like them. This is a great song, but just because I had never heard this version before and therefore it’s not as nostalgic as the others I will be mentioning later, is why it ranks a little lower on this list. 

 

#4 “Had Me @ Hello – Luke Benward aka Ryan Dean


This is the acoustic version of the previous song that I just mentioned previously sung by Luke Benward who plays Ryan in Girl vs Monster. He sings this song in a garage with his band in the movie, which is just always fun and interesting to watch. This scene with this song in the movie is also just a great scene. It definitely gives off all those fall vibes with the fall leaves flying on the ground as Skylar shows up to see Ryan singing this song in his garage (or what I assume to be his garage). But, that’s besides the point because I’m ranking this song and not the scene itself. Again, I still stand by everything I said about this song previously. But I also love that this is an acoustic version and not just a straight pop version of the same song. This is just a really chill and even sweeter version of the song to listen to. When I first watched this movie when I was 15, I didn’t care for Ryan’s version of this song at all. I used to think it was so boring, but now every time I watch this movie, I look forward to hearing this song again. I was never a big acoustic song lover when I was younger, but I’ve grown to love songs like this one. I already loved the one version of this song before (which I will be mentioning later), but I love that his version is more stripped down as it makes the song even more special, raw, and emotional while listening to it. Especially for this song, the acoustic version makes it seem even more of a sentimental song and really just gets across the message in an even cuter and sweeter way. And I do just love the guy singing it to the girl a little better. I would definitely say this is the most underrated song from Girl vs Monster. Coming from someone who didn’t like this song years ago, but found a new love and appreciation for it now. It’s just great that we get the pop and the acoustic version of this song in the movie, as they are just as equally fun to listen and sing along to. Although, I will admit, the only reason this version does not rank higher on this list is because it can get a bit boring after listening to it for a while compared to the other songs, I will be mentioning next. 

   

     


#3 “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now” – Olivia Holt aka Skylar Lewis 


 

This song has always been one of my favorites from Girl vs Monster. It’s just a classic and the better one when compared to the Katherine McNamara version, because I can actually listen and understand what’s she’s singing and enjoy the song more instead of being creeped out by it. This song is actually performed twice in the movie by Olivia Holt’s character, Skylar. Although, I’ve always hated that we don’t get to see her perform the whole song both times she sings it in the movie. But it’s still an iconic song from the movie, nonetheless. I also just love this song a lot for the message. As it’s all about knowing that you can do anything, that you are not alone, and the importance of not letting anyone stop you from being you. I specifically love the part of the song that says, “Fear is not a roadblock in my way/ Don’t care what the haters say”.  It goes along really well with the whole theme of the movie which is about not letting your fear(s) control you. It’s just a great upbeat, inspiring, and empowering song for anyone to listen to and enjoy. It definitely makes me feel like I can do anything every time I listen to this song. In other words, it’s a good confidence booster. This song is just a feel-good song that makes me happy. I can’t help but smile every time I hear this song. I just love songs like this one so much. There is nothing I don’t like about this song, although after a while it can get too repetitive and sometimes annoying, but the message always stands and never gets old. It’s like one of those good annoying songs. One you want to keep listening to even though it can be too repetitive at times, and you want to turn it off, but you just can’t because there’s just something about it that makes you wanna keep listening to it. I mean this is the first song we get to see and hear in the movie for a reason, because it’s just that GREAT. This song is fun to dance and sing along to as well, just like we see Skylar doing at the beginning of this movie. It’s also so interesting the scenes with this song in the movie because when Skylar first sings this song she seems as confident as can be, but then after she experiences some scary things her second time around singing this song is not so easy for her as she is more timid and fearful to which she doesn’t even finish the song the second time around. Both of those performances by her in this movie really shows what someone listening to this song could be feeling and that this song could be a pick me up for someone who is already confident and full of energy or for someone who is down or fearful about something. I don’t know, but this song is just great. Definitely one of my most favorites from the movie forever and always.  

     


 

#2 “Had Me @ Hello (Reprise – Duet/Trio Version)" – Olivia Holt, Luke Benward, & Katherine McNamara


This is the last song that is performed in the movie and not only my favorite version of “Had Me @ Hello” but one of my most favorite songs from the whole movie in general, as you can see. They definitely ended the movie on a high note (literally). This song/performance is just one of the more unforgettable ones from Girl vs Monster. I really love that we get to see not only Ryan and Skylar sing this song as a duet but then they also include Myra at the end as well and we get to actually hear her real voice (not the evil lady’s voice). So, we really get the best of both worlds with this song/performance. As again, we first get to see/hear Ryan and Skylar sing it to each other and then we get an added element when Myra comes in at the end to sing her parts. Their voices blend together so well at the end. This is just a fun song to listen to, and the scene is just as great to watch. I also just love the added “oh, oh, oh’s” they add at the end. As that’s one of my most favorite parts of this version of the song. It is kind of a weird song for three people to sing, when this song is clearly about a couple, but I don’t care if it makes sense or not because I just love this song and this scene from the movie. This song/scene never gets old. The song itself is so catchy and every time that I watch this scene in the movie, I can’t help but smile throughout and want to sing and dance along with them. I have nothing else to say except that this song just makes me so HAPPY to listen to. 

   


   


#1 “Fearless” – Olivia Holt aka Skylar Lewis


This is THE BEST and my MOST FAVORITE song from Girl vs Monster. It is THE song that I have always associated this movie with the most. I mean to me it’s the title track to the overall theme of this movie. I mean the theme word of this whole movie is in the title of the song itself, so how could it not be? No but for real for REAL, this song (and the movie) is all about, as the title suggests, being yourself, not letting your fears control you, and never backing down to nothing or no one. In other words, it’s just about being FEARLESS.  This is not only the best song in the movie but also the best scene in the movie…well, mostly because of this song being in the scene. But seriously, there is no better song that Skylar could have sung for that moment in this movie where she finally overcomes her fear. I also love how Skylar starts out singing this song a capella, she stops, and then she starts singing it again with the band and everyone dancing and having fun around her. This song is just perfect for this movie and it’s just really relatable to people in real life, as well. Cause everybody has some kind of fear they have to learn to overcome (or at least try to overcome), and this song is the perfect song to sing when they do or even if someone hasn’t overcome their fear this song encourages one to want to do so. This song is just super nostalgic to me. The most nostalgic song to me from the movie. I still remember exactly when and where I was when I watched this movie for the first time when it premiered in 2012 and this song has always been my most favorite ever since then. I mean it just has always stood out to me the most. This song is such a fun, celebratory song because it’s not easy for one to overcome their fear (trust me, I know) but once they do this song is the perfect example of the feeling one would most likely have after doing so. I love the breakdown after the chorus and the part when she sings, “You used to make my heart pound / Just the thought of you / But now you’re in the background / What you gonna do?”. Also, the dance breakdown part of the scene itself has always been my favorite. Just EVERYTHING about this song is AMAZING. This song just gets me hooked right from the very beginning. It’s also the only pop-rock song from the movie, which I LOVE.  It never gets old. Like NEVER. It’s just such a classic and the MOST ICONIC song from Girl vs Monster

   




  Well, that concludes my first Halloween/Chilloween post of 2022 on A Ranking of Every Song from Girl vs. Monster – A Disney Channel Original Halloween Movie. Although, I have my most favorite song from this movie, I really do love all of these songs…well, except the one (yeah, #7), and I would highly suggest to anyone to listen to these songs.  I also highly suggest you check out the movie (Girl vs Monster) itself to get even more of the vibes of these songs and just because these songs and the movie are both great. But whether you listen to these songs apart from the movie or decide to just watch the movie to hear them, the message of being FEARLESS is prominent in both and one you can be sure to take away from either of them. If you have seen Girl vs Monster, I would love to know which song is your favorite that I mentioned here. So, comment down below and come Back to Disney VERY SOON for more treats!!๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’š๐ŸŽƒ

No comments:

Post a Comment