Friday, September 24, 2021

Every Song from Camp Rock, Ranked

 

Welcome Back to Disney! I hope you enjoyed my post yesterday where I created A Ranking of Every Song from Starstruck. I thought I would do an extra post this week and continue with my rankings of songs from all my favorite DCOM musicals, I have created a list with Every Song from Camp Rock, Ranked. If you remember from one of my earliest blog posts where I ranked the Top Ten Disney Channel Original Movies, then you know that Camp Rock was included in that list. Camp Rock is not only a must-watch DCOM but one of the ultimate DCOM musicals (after High School Musical, of course). No movie will make you want to go to summer camp more than this movie. I still remember where I was when Camp Rock premiered on Disney Channel for the first time. I also remember when my little sister was gifted the CD for her birthday and that night us singing and dancing along to it in our room with our older sister, putting on a show for our family. Camp Rock became a staple DCOM that I made sure to watch every summer during my childhood and teen years. So, I have been a long-time fan of Camp Rock. Not only do I love it for all the nostalgia that it brings but I also love that it's the only DCOM that takes place at summer camp, I love the positive messages, the romance, the friendships, the comedy, and of course the MUSIC. So, that is why I thought it would be fun to do a ranking of every song from the movie. 

A brief note before we begin: this ranking includes all the songs that were included in the movie, including the extended version, as well as from the soundtrack. Also, when I am ranking these songs, I am also ranking the performances of them in the movie. So, not just the song itself, but the overall scene/performance of it in the movie. Now, let's get into Every Song from Camp Rock, Ranked.  

(from last to first)...

#12 Too Cool


 

This is my least favorite song/scene from Camp Rock because I don't like the mean, narcissistic messaging. When I first watched this movie as a kid I don't think I really payed attention to what the lyrics were saying but now that I'm older and understand the song more I am not a fan of it at all. Obviously, it made sense for the mean, diva character Tess to be singing it in the movie, but it's still not a good song. It's not a song I would sing on repeat today, because it's not fun or funny at all to sing lyrics such as,

                                          You think you're hot, but I'm sorry, you're not 

                                          Exactly who you think you are 

                                          Can't tell you what you haven't got 

                                          But when we walk into the room 

                                          I'm too cool for you 

The beat is pretty catchy and all, but the lyrics just ruin that for me. The scene itself isn't really nothing special, either. As it' s just Tess and her background dancers singing and dancing to the song on the outdoor stage, with Mitchie and the other girls off to the side. The only thing I do like from this scene is the fire in the back and the sparkly dresses (not the blue leggings though).

#11 Here I Am 

Click image for source.

 

Although this was the winning song of the Final Jam, it is not my favorite song/scene from the movie. The meaning of the song is great, but I felt like it needed something a little more. As I felt like it was missing something. But, I do like how the character Peggy comes out on the stage feeling confident and ready to introduce herself as a strong, independent artist. Instead of just being Tess's little minion. It's definitely an inspirational moment and song from the movie. Especially, for shy girls (like me) finding their voice. But, I feel like the song that Mitchie sings at the Final Jam gives off the same kind of message, but better. This song was always a little too deep and emotional for me as a kid when first watching this movie, but I definitely appreciate it more listening to it and watching it back now.  

#10 Start The Party


 

This song/scene in Camp Rock is good but it's still not the best. It's more funny than amazing. This scene in the movie makes me laugh a lot just because of the dance moves that they do. However, I do love anything that can make me laugh. It is a really fun and energetic song/scene to dance and sing along to. As it's very catchy and also really repetitive. It's also the most dramatic and chaotic performance from the movie, which makes it interesting. Even though it's not one of the best songs/scenes from the movie, it is still one that sticks out and always comes to mind when I think of Camp Rock.  

#9 What It Takes 


 

This is another song that I kind of skipped over as a kid, and one that didn't really stand out to me. I don't know for some reason it used to just annoy me. But now I really do like this song/scene in the movie. It's one of my favorites. It's repetitive, but it's a good repetitive song. The lyrics are also actually pretty deep and she states a lot of truth in this song. One of my favorite verses being when she sings,

                                                       

                                                    Everyone talks about what they think they need 

                                                    They're makin' up a list of things, one, two, three

                                                    Everyone is different, but where we can agree

                                                    Every girl wants her boy to treat her sweet 

                                                    Don't think being mean will get you anywhere 

                                                    Don't think that actin' cool will make me wanna care 

                                                    I need your respect if you're gonna be the one...

I love the whole beat of the song and all the vibes it gives off. Their dancing in this scene is more in sync than the dancing in the previous song/scene I mentioned, so that is also one reason why I put it a little higher than the previous song/scene. I would have loved to rank it even higher, but there are other songs from Camp Rock that are still better than this one. But, it's still a really brilliant song that has a great message about finding a boy/guy who is worthy of you. Which makes this song really relatable to girls/women out there. This is definitely an underrated song for sure. 

#8 2 Stars


 

Out of the two songs that Tess sings in Camp Rock, this is definitely the better one. I really like the beat of this song, especially when it first starts out. But I do feel that it kind of stops or gets too repetitive towards the middle. When I was younger and watched this movie I always didn't like how they had to cut the song short because the character (Tess) stumbles and almost falls. I wanted to hear the whole song in the movie. But now going back and listening to the full song from the soundtrack, I can see why they probably wanted to cut it short, because after a while the song just doesn't hit the same as it does at the beginning. Therefore, I definitely like the overall scene better than the song itself, which is the only reason that I ranked it a little higher than the others. I do love the first verse when she sings, 

                                                         Wake up 

                                                         When will things be good enough

                                                         For you to see all that we can be

                                                         I'm sick of playing games 

                                                         And acting like we never care 

                                                         Like we're never there 

Definitely something I can relate to from this song. As well as, the universal truth being that two stars are always brighter than one, which can be applied to anything in life, relationships, etc. 

#7 Hasta La Vista 


 

This is a really great and memorable song/scene from Camp Rock. It definitely makes you feel the most hype and energetic while listening to it and watching it. Obviously, when I was younger I didn't know or speak Spanish so I never realized what they meant when they sang the words "Hasta La Vista", which is also probably why I didn't appreciate this song/scene from the movie as much as a kid because I didn't understand it. But once I got older and realized what they were actually singing, then I began to love and appreciate this song/scene even more. As I do now. This is another Final Jam performance that included three other characters we see often throughout the movie and a lot of background dancers. This performance in the movie is definitely the most unique and different from the others because of the trampolines and rapping-like parts of the song. It's definitely one of the most upbeat songs/scenes from the movie, which is why I love it. This song/scene in the movie is just so unforgettable and the most dance-worthy song from the movie. It's also fun to sing along to. No other scene from a movie will make you want a trampoline and a pink sparkly top more than this one. 

#6 Our Time is Here


 
 

I really love this song and was shocked to find out that I had never even seen or heard this song/scene from the movie until recently. My little sister found it and showed me it and told me it was only on the deluxe version of the DVD. I am surprised that they didn't just keep this song/scene in the movie when it premiered originally, because it's actually really good and it makes sense with the movie. I mentioned before that my sister had the Camp Rock CD when we were younger, but I don't ever remember hearing this song on it. Maybe it was, but I just forgot. But anyways, that's besides the point. This song really makes you feel all the feels. It's really emotional and deep, which is why I love it. It's like an end of summer anthem, which is fitting since it's the end of summer as I am writing this. This song is all about the summer ending but encouraging those listening to not be sad about it because there's better days ahead and with the added hope that summer will come again. It's also about staying present in the moment and not thinking about the past or the future, but just the here and now. So, this song kind of makes me sad and nostalgic but also happy and excited at the same time. I love all the positive messages this song gives. The scene itself is just Mitchie and all the other girls from the movie singing (and dancing a little) together in a garage. So, nothing too special, no big lights or big stages, but that's what I love about this scene and the song, is the simplicity of it all. Definitely one of the best songs/scenes from Camp Rock and probably the most underrated. 

#5 Who Will I Be


 

This is another one of my favorite songs/scenes from Camp Rock because it's one of the most memorable and nostalgic ones to me. Being that it's the opening scene of the movie. I love the beat and the positive message of the song and that it's also really relatable. It's a very uplifting and encouraging song, as well. It's all about being able to choose who you want to be in life because the possibilities are endless and encouraging others that there is nothing you can't do. To always dream big. I'm sure we've all had that feeling of wanting to find who we are inside and letting that shine for all to see in the world. I know I have been wondering that now, having just finished college, and trying to figure out what I want to do now and who I want to be now that it's over. I also love everything about this scene as you just see Mitchie rocking out in her bedroom with the guitar and piano, trying out different hairstyles in the mirror, putting on different outfits, all while just getting ready for school. It's a cute, entertaining, and relatable scene to watch and a great song to listen to if you need to feel inspired or uplifted. Mitchie also sang a little a cappella version of this song later in the movie, which is also one of my favorite scenes in the movie.   

#4 We Rock

Click image for source.

 

This is the most rock song you get from Camp Rock. This is also the last song/scene in the movie (if you don't include the bonus song from the extended version) and obviously another unforgettable song/scene. I love that you get to see the whole cast, and some extras, dance and sing to this song in the movie. You can see them all really going for it and enjoying themselves, so it makes you enjoy watching it, as well. It's another fun, chaotic, and energetic song/scene from the movie. There's running, jumping, climbing, flips, everything that makes for a good finale performance. And an iconic one at that. This is when the film truly reached bop mode and made you want a second one. Again, I also love all the positive messaging. As it's all about being yourself, finding your voice, following your dreams, and not letting anyone bring you down. In other words, just continuing to Rock On!

#3 Gotta Find You 


 

This is another great song from Camp Rock and one of my favorites because it is the only full acoustic performance that we hear and see in the movie with a Jonas brother singing it. I'm sorry, I mean Shane Gray singing it. I really like the simple, acoustic performances of songs, especially this one. I also love the sweet message of the song and the scene itself is also very sweet and heartwarming. As in the scene it is just the two main characters, Mitchie and Shane Gray, sitting by the lake under some trees looking deep into each others' eyes and smiling, while Shane Gray is serenading Mitchie. I just love the scenery and everything about this scene. I'm sure every girl wanted to be Mitchie in this scene. This is just a classic love song and unforgettable scene from Camp Rock. 

#2 Play My Music

Click image for source.

 

This has always been one of my favorite songs/scenes in the movie. As it is the first and only time that we see the three brothers (Connect 3/Jonas Brothers) perform together in the movie. I was never a huge fan of the Jonas Brothers but this scene of them singing this song for some reason made me want to be when I was younger. I don't know, just something about this scene hits something different in me every time it comes on and I really like it. It's definitely a fun scene to watch and makes me happy and nostalgic, like most of these songs/scenes do. This scene in the movie is just the Jonas Brothers being the Jonas Brothers, which is very entertaining to watch. Need I say more? The song itself is also very catchy and I can really relate to the lyrics as a music lover myself. 

#1 This Is Me

Click image for source.

 

This is hands down THE BEST song from Camp Rock. I mean from the beginning of the movie when she is singing this song at the piano (which they also should have put on the soundtrack) viewers only anticipate wanting to hear more of the song with full production. By the end of the movie, before the final song of the Final Jam, we get to hear the full song and it's everything and more. Again, I love a ballad and this is one of the best DCOM ballads, if not the best DCOM ballad of all time. I love the beat and the overall message of the song. It's all about not being afraid to come out of your shell and not being afraid to show who you are and do what you love. I really love this song because I feel that I can relate to it the most compared to all the other songs that I have mentioned previously. Every time that I watch and listen to this song it reminds me and gives me the confidence to not be afraid to be who I am and go for my dreams no matter what anyone else might say. I will go ahead and say it now, this is not only the best song from this movie alone, but from the whole Camp Rock franchise. As it is THE SONG of the Camp Rock franchise. I also love that they mixed two different songs into one during this scene/performance. When Shane Gray finally sees "the girl" he's been looking for and he then starts singing "Gotta Find You" as Mitchie keeps singing "This Is Me". The songs actually go together so well. No other DCOM musical that I remember ever blended two songs like this before. So, it makes this scene very unique and different from all the others in that way, as well. I love the romantic parts of this scene. I also love that it was just the two characters with a mic on a stage and nothing else extravagant, because they didn't need it. Again, just the most iconic and truly unforgettable moment from Camp Rock and DCOM history.  

Well, that concludes my list of Every Song from Camp Rock, Ranked. Creating this list was a little more difficult than I thought it was going to be. I mean, I knew the #1 song from the start, but then it got much harder trying to decipher which songs to rank next best. But, I finally feel that I got it down in the correct order of what songs from the movie I think are best. I actually haven't watched Camp Rock in forever, so I had to go back and watch the scenes on YouTube and listen to the songs. I did plan on re-watching the whole movie after I made this list, but since summer is over I think I'll just wait until next summer comes around to watch it again. But I highly suggest that you watch this movie if you haven't seen it already and if you have, well watch it again. I like to watch it during the summer but you can do whatever you like and watch it right after you read this if you want to. I would love to know your favorite songs from Camp Rock, as well. So, let me know in the comments below and come Back to Disney next week for more!


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment