Thursday, September 16, 2021

A Definitive Ranking of Every Song from Lemonade Mouth

 

Welcome Back to Disney! I hoped you enjoyed my post last week where I created A Ranking of Every Song from High School Musical 3: Senior Year. This week I thought I would give you A Definitive Ranking of Every Song from Lemonade Mouth. If you remember from one of my earlier blog posts where I ranked the Top Ten Disney Channel Original Movies, then you know that Lemonade Mouth was included in that list. Obviously, I love DCOMs, and I love musicals and I feel that Lemonade Mouth is an underrated DCOM musical. As I said before, I really think this movie deserved a sequel. I love the focus of friendship in this movie, the diversity, and the fact that it is the only DCOM about a group of friends that form a band and become successful, which makes it unique and different from all the other DCOMs. There is also a lot of positive messages and lessons throughout this film that still hold up today, which also makes this movie a must-watch. It also includes deep topics, such as dead mothers/fathers, absent fathers, etc. But what really makes this movie great and such a hit is the music. As you know I love music and especially the music in this movie. So, that is why I thought it would be fun to do a ranking of every song from the movie. 

A brief note before we begin: this ranking includes all the songs that were included in the movie, including the extended version, as well as from the soundtrack. Also, when I am ranking these songs, I am also ranking the performances of them in the movie. So, not just the song but the overall scene/performance of it in the movie. Now, let's get into A Definitive Ranking of Every Song from Lemonade Mouth.

(from last to first)... 

#10 Don't Ya Wish You Were Us

Click image for source.

 

This is obviously my least favorite song from Lemonade Mouth because I don't like the narcissistic message. No one should want to be anyone but themselves and this song preaches the total opposite of that. This was just the most repetitive and annoying song in the movie, in my opinion. The scene itself wasn't that great either. It was just the two guys from the rival band with one mainly on stage scream-singing "Don't ya wish you were us". There's nothing special or great about this song/scene in the movie. 

#9 And the Crowd Goes

Click image for source.

 

Even though this song has a catchy pop-punk chorus and a thumping base, it is still one of the weakest songs in the movie. This is another song that the rival band, Mudslide Crush, perform in the movie. But it is the better one of the two songs that they sing in the movie. The scene of them just rolling around and jumping on cars, crowd-surfing, and just having fun is great, but it's still not the best song/scene in the movie. However, at least the lyrics/message aren't as bad as the one I mentioned previously. I mean the only part I really like about this song is the "Oh oh oh oh" part. 

#8 Here We Go

Click image for source.

 

This song makes you want to start a revolution of your own, but that's really all it does. The message of "Be heard, Be Strong, Be Proud" is a good one and an integral theme of the movie. But the overemphasis on electronic-background sounds and almost rapping parts just made it go lower on my list. It's still obviously better than the previous two songs but it is also just repetitive and there's not much else to it. The scene itself is fine as it takes place at a Halloween bash on stage, with a cheering crowd, special effects smoke, and multiple cans of lemonade. Although, the song and overall scene part of the movie is not my favorite, I do understand it's purpose in the movie. 

#7 Livin' On A High Wire

Click image for source.

 

Apparently, this was an extra song/scene that was available only on the DVD and soundtrack that I just found out about recently while making this list. Which is kind of weird because I did buy the CD when it first came out years ago but I guess I totally forgot about this song or skipped over it. So, I had to go back a couple of times to watch and listen to it, because I wasn't as familiar with it as I am with all the other songs in the movie. Obviously, because of it being an extra scene that wasn't originally included when it first premiered it is the most forgettable song/scene from the movie. But I do actually like the song obviously better than the ones I've previously mentioned. This song has more of a country vibe to it, which makes it very different and unique from the other songs in the movie. But, it also still has that rockin' melody to it, as well. The scene itself is just them performing it on an interview show stage. So, there's not much to it but you can see them really having fun with it and giving it their all which makes you like the song even more. The lyrics and overall message of the song is great, as well. It is very inspirational as the song is basically about what they have been through to get to where they are now and they will not stop or let anyone stop them to get to where they wanna go, either. I also just really love the "Na na na" part of the song. As I love la's, ooh's, na's of any song. 

#6 Turn Up The Music

Click image for source.

 

This is no doubt an iconic song/scene from Lemonade Mouth just because it is the first song that they sing together as a band while in detention. My favorite part being the rhythmic background noise that slowly becomes a song that brings everyone together. I don't even mind that they all just happen to know every single word and chord despite never having even met each other before. The scene itself is also great even though they are just in a classroom in the school basement singing with all kinds of instruments and props. You can see that they are just the most happy, playful, and fun during this scene which makes you feel just as happy and warm watching it. The song/scene from the movie also makes me feel emotional due to it being one of the most nostalgic and brings me back to my middle school days when I first watched this movie. This is an unforgettable song/scene. The scene is very funny at times too and the song itself is very catchy.    

#5 More Than A Band

Click image for source.

 

This is another great song/scene from Lemonade Mouth. I don't think I appreciated this song/scene in the movie enough as a 14-year-old as much as I do now. I love the meaning of the song as well as the soothing beat of the song. As this song is the only slow and more somber song in the movie. It's not only a sweet and heartfelt song but the scene is, as well. As the friends start the song singing on the grass at Olivia's (Bridget Mendler) house then it goes into like a montage of sweet and fun moments between the band still singing and even dancing and swimming. It is also the first time that we hear Charlie (Blake Michael) sing. This song/scene really touches on their friendship as a band when they are not performing for big crowds or at school. As their friendship goes beyond just being a band. It's a true friendship/family. This song is one of the more sentimental and emotional songs from the movie with another great message about friends always being there for each other even if they don't always know exactly how you feel but letting their friend know that they always have a shoulder to cry on or lean on. That's just one of the positive messages that I hear when I listen to this song and watch this scene in the movie. I've listened to this song on repeat lately because I just love it. 

#4 Breakthrough

 

Click image for source.

Before I started this list I thought that this song/scene from the movie would be at least third on my list because this was one of my most played songs from the Lemonade Mouth soundtrack as a kid. But, after re-listening to all of these songs and re-watching this part of the movie, this surprisingly only made it to #4 on my list. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, but I like the next three songs better than this one. Maybe I don't like it as much anymore because I heard it so many times, but as of now as I am creating this list it is #4 on this list. I do love this scene in the movie when they finally make it big that they get to perform at Madison Square Garden. Their outfits (especially Mo's), the lights, the big stage, the little choreography that they do, everything is great about this scene. It's definitely one of the best and most unforgettable big performance scenes from a DCOM, with an amazing song to match. I also like how all three of the girls get a chance to shine. I love the instrumental part at the beginning that builds up to them starting to sing. I love the positive message and the beat of the song, as well. The message being to keep on moving on and pushing boundaries no matter what or who tries to stop you is an important one. As there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It's a very relatable and encouraging song which is why I love it. 

#3 Somebody

Click image for source.

 

As you know I love a ballad and so I love this song from the movie. It was extremely hard deciding whether or not to put this before "Breakthrough", but ultimately, I had to put it before because I just love this song from the movie so much and I kept going back to it. It makes me feel all the feels. I love the instrumental piano at the beginning then when the drums come in and she starts singing. This song and scene from the movie makes me feel the most emotional and nostalgic while watching it. Once the song starts, I never want it to end. I just want to play it over and over. This is definitely Bridgit Mendler's best song in the whole movie and on the soundtrack. Again, the scene is simple with just them singing in the school basement, but I like that about it. Sometimes the simpler, the better. I also love the message of the song being about friendship and believing in your own potential. There is nothing bad I can say about this song/scene in the movie. I love everything about it.  

#2 She's So Gone

Click image for source.

 

Okay, so I was going to put this song as #1 because I love it so much. But, then I changed my mind last minute. I mean I had been going back-and-forth between the #1 song and this one for a while. But in the end unfortunately this song had to take the #2 spot. However, this song is definitely a very close #1 song from Lemonade Mouth. I love everything about this song and this scene in the movie. I mean it takes place inside of a pizza shop. Who wouldn't want to sing and dance around and on tables at a pizza shop? LOL. No, but for real, this is another great and powerful ballad from Lemonade Mouth. Again, I love the simplicity of this scene but also the song itself. I mean it's hard not to relate to Mo's empowering story of breaking free from her own insecurities. The chorus is just so satisfying to hear, as well. When you listen to this song once you will want to listen to it over and over again. For some reason every time that I watch this movie I always want this song/scene to last longer. It feels like it just goes by so fast and I just want to keep listening to the song forever. This is definitely a memorable and un-skippable song from the movie and the soundtrack. 

#1 Determinate

Click image for source.

 

This is the BEST song from Lemonade Mouth because it is the most dance-worthy, energetic, inspirational, and empowering song from the whole movie. Some people may say that this song is highly overrated, but I say that it's not highly overrated enough. I love that it starts out slow with just Olivia's (Bridgit Mendler) vocals and then gets more upbeat and louder with everyone else in the band singing with her. There is even some rapping in it. This is the catchiest song from the movie and the most memorable. I just can't say enough good things about this song/scene in the movie. It's just everything you'd want to see in a DCOM musical and more. I always get excited to watch this scene and listen to this song. The scene itself is great. Again, as it's just the five best friends performing on stage at a Halloween bash which brings a whole other element with special effect smoke on the stage and big rotating lights among other things. It's also another song with a great, empowering message about letting go of your fears and living the life you want to live. Going above and beyond for what you want in life and not wasting a second doing it. I love and believe in this message wholeheartedly. As I am a very determined person in my own life, as well.

Well, that concludes A Ranking of Every Song from Lemonade Mouth. Creating this list was more difficult than I thought it was going to be. But I feel like I finally got it down to the correct order of what songs from the movie that I think are the best. I recently, over the summer, re-watched this movie and now I already want to go back and watch it again. I also highly suggest that you do the same. As Lemonade Mouth is a must-watch DCOM. Oh, and don't forget to have a glass of lemonade beside you while you watch the movie, because this movie will make you crave lemonade like you never have before. Trust me. I would also love to know your thoughts and opinions on Lemonade Mouth as well as your favorite songs from the movie. So, let me know in the comment section below and come Back to Disney next week for more!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment