Sunday, September 5, 2021

A Ranking of Every Song From High School Musical 2

 

Welcome Back To Disney! I hope you enjoyed my post last week where I made A Definitive Ranking of Every Song From High School Musical. As I said in that post, I am going to do a ranking of my favorite songs from all the High School Musical movies. Obviously since I already ranked the songs from the first High School Musical movie, I'm now going to rank and list my favorite songs from High School Musical 2. I am so excited to do this ranking and for you to read about about my favorites from this movie, because if you remember from one of my earlier posts entitled the Top Ten Disney Channel Original Movies, then you know that High School Musical 2 is my all time favorite DCOM. Not only because it takes place during the summer (giving us all the summer vibes) but also because of the 'fabulous' (lol, no pun intended) songs in the movie. I mean this was a staple movie I made sure to watch every summer when school was out. 

A brief note before we begin: this ranking includes all the songs included in the movie. Also, as per my last post, when I am ranking these songs I am basically also ranking the performances of them in the movie, as well. So, not just the song itself but the overall scene/performance of it in the movie. Now, let's get into A Ranking of Every Song From High School Musical 2.

(from last to first)....

#11 Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

Click image for source.

 

Obviously, this is my least favorite because it's not only a very weird song but the scene with this song in the movie was just odd. It's no wonder that it was only (at the time) included on the extended version of the DVD. In fact, this is in my opinion the worst song from the High School Musical trilogy. I just don't feel like this song/scene ever needed to be heard or seen in the movie. It was kind of pointless. Yeah, it was funny but it was just that. Overall, this song is the most forgettable and for good reason, which is why it ranks last on this list. 

#10 You Are The Music In Me (Sharpay's Version)

Click image for source.

 

This song from High School Musical 2 ranks lower on my list just because again it's not the most memorable and it is just not as good as the version that Troy and Gabriella sing in the movie. I just feel like the flashiness of the performance and the tempo of the song takes away from the true heart and core of the song. Although, Sharpay brings her all during this scene/performance, it was just very chaotic and too much for me. While this reprise is more upbeat and theatrical rock and meant to be fun, it's more humorous rather than relatable. Which is not a terrible thing, but which makes it not the best. 

#9 Fabulous

Click image for source.

 

This is an unforgettable song and moment in High School Musical 2 for sure, but it's not my most favorite. I definitely liked it more as a kid (when I first watched it) than I do now. I mean who didn't repeat the iconic but over-the-top lyrics "Ice tea imported from England, Lifeguards imported from Spain, towels imported from Turkey, and turkey imported from Maine". This song captures Sharpay's diva attitude the best and when you think of Sharpay you think of this song. It's a fun ballad documenting just how self-serving and over-the-top she is. So, not the best message or most relatable song but when you're listening to it it's impossible to not enjoy the vibes this song gives off. The scene is fun with all the poolside vibes and the props from the beach balls, the magazines, the oversized pink feathers, to the big pink piano in the pool. But, honestly we all know the best part of this scene was when Troy appeared out of the gate with his big, white smile and pool blue eyes. Again, a very funny song and scene but it doesn't have much meaning or relatability to it. 

#8 All For One

Click image for source.

 

This is a good grand finale song and scene from High School Musical 2 where all the characters join together to dance and sing like they did at the end of the first High School Musical with We're All In This Together. This song has similar vibes and a similar message to We're All In This Together in that they sing "Each day we'll be together, Now until forever". A universal message and theme about friendship, togetherness, and being there for each other. I also love that this song preaches living in the moment. Something I feel is very important. I particularly loved this song and scene in the movie when I was younger because you get to see a short glimpse of Miley Cyrus dancing poolside along with the other background dancers. (Blink once and you'll miss it.) This is a really catchy, fun, feel-good song and scene from the movie. It's also a great song to dance along to. You get to see that no matter what conflicts the characters had with one another they always come together in the end. I love the part in particular when the six main characters come down from the top of the rocks and join the rest of the dancers by the pool and when the girls and guys are basically doing like a dance-off. That is my favorite part. Even though this song is fun, upbeat, and has a good message it's not the most memorable probably because where it is placed in the movie which is after the pre-finale finale song and the big kiss in the rain part. So those are some of the reasons why I didn't rank this song/scene higher on this list.  

#7 I Don't Dance

Click image for source.

 

Let me tell you, I've come to love this song more and more as I've gotten older. However, I do think that the scene/performance in the movie is better than the song itself. When I was younger, however, I never appreciated this song/scene from High School Musical 2 as much as I should have. But now I think this song/scene in the movie is totally underrated and doesn't get the credit that it deserves. There's so much hard choreography that the characters do in this scene while simultaneously trying to make it look realistic (like they're actually playing baseball) and I love it. I also appreciate this scene more due to the fact that I played softball growing up, as well. So, there's like a little connection there. Although, the lyrics don't really make sense with what they are doing in this scene (as they sing "I don't dance" while they are dancing..??), I still love it. This song is a banger and has an important message, too. The message being that you'll never know if you can do something or like something if you don't try it. Also, not to judge something someone else does just because you don't like it. I don't know, that is just what I get from the song. Overall, this is a great, fun, entertaining song/scene from the movie. 

#6 What Time Is It?

Click image for source.

 

This is one of the most memorable songs from High School Musical 2, probably more because of the fact that it's the vibrant, opening number. It is also one of the more relatable songs from the movie. Well, at least when I was still in school. But, I still find myself saying "What time is it? randomly for many different things, sometimes in my life. You could really say it for anything. This song expresses the anticipation and ensuing elation that comes with the last day of school perfectly. And the synchronized hallway break-dancing makes it one of the best. This is just an iconic song/scene from High School Musical 2 and a really fun song to dance along to, as well. Also, this is the first song where we hear the actual singing voice of Zac Efron (as Troy), which does not disappoint, obviously. 

#5 You Are The Music In Me (Troy and Gabriella) 

Click image for source.

 

This is another great song from High School Musical 2 and is one that solidifies Troy and Gabriella as #CoupleGoals (okay idk why I just wrote that because I really don't like that whole #Goals trend). This song is so sweet and catchy. This scene is really simple as well with Troy and Gabriella just singing around (and on) the piano. Instead of them just singing while staring into each other's eyes they are more playful during this scene while singing. You can tell they are really happy and it makes me happy when I watch it. As with most of these songs, I still know every word and harmony. This song is also one of the songs from High School Musical 2 that is the most etched in my mind because I sang this song at my high school chorus concert. So, this song kind of has an extra special place in my heart. I also get kind of emotional when I watch and listen to this song because of nostalgic reasons. It just hits something in me, but in a good way. This song and scene is just a classic Troy and Gabriella hit with a sweet message.

#4 Work This Out 

Click image for source.

 

Oh My Gosh! I love this song and scene so much! I really wanted to put this song higher but once I re-listened to all of the songs from High School Musical 2 it unfortunately had to make #4 on this list. But, this is THE kitchen musical number, if there ever was one. When I hear the beginning call-to-action from Troy, chanting "WHAT TEAM" "WILDCATS!" I get hype every time. I just love the midway banging of pots and pans, the electric guitar beat, the dancing, the single-talking parts, just EVERYTHING! It is relatable, memorable, and everything in between. There is really nothing bad about this song/scene in the movie. The message of making the best out of a bad situation is also great. 

#3 Everyday

Click image for source.

 

This is also another great High School Musical pre-finale finale song and scene. It's actually kind of crazy that the pre-finale songs/scenes from High School Musical are always better than the actual grand finale song/scenes. Because usually you save the best for last. But, I love everything about this song and the scene itself. It's dreamy, spirited, and breezy (literally as the wind rushes through their hair). I love the imagery in this scene and the matching white and blue outfits with the beautiful giant cloud backdrop. I feel like every time I listen to this song and watch this scene of the movie I hold back happy tears. I don't know why just when Troy's up there singing by himself and then Gabriella emerges from behind all their friends and then you see Troy's face light up. It's just so sweet. This song/scene gives me all the feels. I also love this song because of the faith content. When I can relate a song back to my faith it goes at the top of my list. The message of this song is also great and an important one. It's all about celebrating everyday because you only have one life and you get to choose how you wanna live it. As you can see it's actually a really deep song and I love that about it. This is another great scene where everyone joins together to sing and dance after Troy and Gabriella duet by themselves for a little bit. 

#2 Bet On It 

Click image for source.

 

This is another iconic banger from Troy (Zac Efron). I mean what else is more entertaining than watching Troy dance out his anger and emotions on a golf course. This is definitely Troy's best solo from the High School Musical trilogy. When the beat kicks in and you see Troy's feet stomping up the hill you automatically get hyped. This is a great song to sing at the top of your lungs when you're having a bad day. From the vocals, the choreography, the hand splash to his face in the water, the aggressive prancing and head banging, to his determined twirls/spins, and the really green grass golf course setting all make this one of the best songs and scenes from High School Musical 2 and the whole High School Musical trilogy. I mean I'm a sucker for choppy electric guitars and heavy drumbeats. This song is very relatable and one of the most memorable from High School Musical 2 and all the High School Musical movies. The message is also really great and something I can relate to as I'm sure a lot of people can. Especially the verse that goes, "I'm not gonna stop/ Not gonna stop 'til I get my shot/ That's who I am, that is my plan/ Will I end up on top?/ You can bet on it, bet on it". As I'm one of those people that will never give up on my dreams or anything in life no matter what people try to tell me or put in my head negatively about them. 

#1 Gotta Go My Own Way

Click image for source.

 

This is my favorite song from High School Musical 2 because as you probably already know I love a good ballad and this song gets to me every time. It's very dramatic and emotional which is what I love about it. As I am very dramatic and emotional at times. This song is also very catchy. Once you listen to it one time you'll want to listen to it over and over again after that. The acoustic piano, guitar, and strings help build up to the end of the song. It's everything viewers want out of a High School Musical breakup number. It also features Troy singing a little bit. But, I look at this song as mainly a Gabriella solo number because she is the main one singing and it's more about her telling him something than him telling her something. The scene of this song in the movie also takes place at the beautiful country-club pool at night, which makes it even better. I loved Gabriella's breakup ballad from the first High School Musical and I love this one as well. It's just a great song about a woman (Gabriella) wanting to leave a relationship because she needs some time to figure herself out and be independent. I always think of this song when I think of High School Musical 2. It's just THE BEST. It makes me want to be in amidst of a breakup singing this song (lol). This is by far the strongest of Gabriella's break-up songs out of all the High School Musical movies. As it has a better purpose, a better backdrop, and it actually feels the most like a breakup song because she is actually singing it to his (Troy's) face rather than to no one in the halls of a school building. 

Well, that concludes A Ranking of Every Song From High School Musical 2. Creating this list surprisingly wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Probably because I have seen this movie and have listened to these songs more times than I can count. I also recently just re-watched the movie so they were more fresh in my mind than the ones from the first High School Musical that I rated last week. If I didn't already say it once I will say it again, High School Musical 2 has the best songs out of all the High School Musical movies combined. After doing this list I already want to go back and watch the movie again just to hear these songs again. After you have read this post I highly suggest you go and do the same and let me know in the comments below your favorite songs from High School Musical 2. Then come Back to Disney next week for more!   





 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment